Common Attributes of “Miracle Survivors”
So what makes a “miracle survivor?” When I started the journey of interviewing individuals who’ve beat the odds of a terminal and/or incurable diagnosis, I’ve found many attributes they share:
- They don’t buy into statistics and the death sentences many of them were given.
- They never gave up no matter what. They may have had down times, but were able to pull it together and do what they needed to do.
- They choose to look on the positive side, see the gifts that a cancer diagnosis brings.
- They have a strong desire to give back and make a difference in other people’s lives, whether it is fundraising, lobbying or supporting other survivors.
- Most have a strong sense of faith. Even if they didn’t believe in God, they believed in a higher power(s).
- They all have support from family, loved ones or support groups. These connections gave them a reason to carry on.